Tuesday, March 4, 2008

OMG! My Sister Is So American!

I like to blend. Not smoothies or milkshakes - in fact, I haven't had a homemade milkshake since I stopped taking weight gain protein in high school. That's not substance abuse - that substance abuses, scars you and leaves you unable to blend, in the culinary sense. But I digress.

I like to blend, as in crowds. I like to chameleon, and it has been my personal mission objective in the past two months to be as incognito as possible on the streets of Rome. For someone with my height, hair color, and good looks, it is extremely hard to go unnoticed. I count it a victory to simply be ignored, or maybe identified as a Swedish or German tourist; anything but to be another American, pockets filled with freedom.

My sister, however, does not like to blend. She does not like the bland, black and white color scheme I adhere to. Tanner, my sister, arrived in Rome wearing gossamer teal cowboy boots, silver leggings, and a bright pink top. She was the American flag filled with neon gas.

As I have written before, I have gone to such extremes to be a part of a crowd as to put on a fake accent (though, partially unconsciously), to heavily roll my r's and to insert pauses into my speech, as if translating from one language to another. As foolish as this may sound to you, dear reader, it was much more so with Tanner. She has decided to speak as loudly as possibly, and to saturate all her words with the Southern Grace my mother says Rome lacks. Not only does she speak so, but she speaks so to everyone in her perimeter. Tourists and Italians alike stand no chance against her onslaught of good will, her infinite clip of questions in her machine gun mouth, asking the who, what, where, why, and how in the world even of people who cannot speak English. Buses, backstreets, bathrooms - beware, natives.

And that laugh. Pierces like a knife. It comes and goes like a snap in a silent auditorium, for one instant, but that moment is enough to garner the attention of everyone, no matter what tribe or nation. I could not count on both hands and both feet the number of times that I have wanted to die of embarrassment from the laugh of my Miss American sister.

OMG! I cannot believe my sister is so American. After I have spent half my time here trying to be Italian, trying to hide my ethnicity, saying few words and avoiding all tourists, Tanner destroys my well wrought reputation (or lack thereof, for I am just another face) with her Homecoming Queen smile and inability to control her volume.

But the funny thing is, the thing itself is, that my sister has made more friends in two days than I had in two months. Southern Grace in need, indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From Daniella's Mamamia -

I'm your Washingtonian friend, Danielle,'s mother! I AM enjoying your blogs very much - Dani has a link on her blog to your site and it caught my eye, so I decided to click a sneak peak. You are quite the writer - how intriguing and odd to find yourself in an architecture program!

The two architects in our family don't write (ask Dani) or read much, well, except for instruction manuals to build things - they just think differently, too... (ask Dani) I much prefer the written word, although star exposure might get old with mere words for shelter!

A warm thank you to your mother for doting just a wee bit of southern grace "mothering: on our far away second daughter. I detect that with your family nearby, and a few other American mothers she's hosted, she might be missing her kin just a little...

Oh, ask Danielle about traveling a few summers ago with her very American grandmother and great aunt. That was when I didn't want her an ocean away by herself. She proved herself on that trip and we waved good-bye for a long absence afterward.

Now I know why Dani wears so much black!

Keep up the posts. I've never watched LOST, but, I've been in that condition quite often, being directionally challenged and al.!

Sorry to have to identify as anonymous - I somehow messed up my Blogger identity long ago and cannot change it...

-Debbie