Friday, April 4, 2008

I Test The Validity Of Wikipedia

All this talk of whether or not Wikipedia is a viable source of information just complicates the issue. If the information is true or not, or if even it is true, whether or not it is academically honorable to use such an information super-duper highway that receives it's maintinence from any which passersby. I say, if the USSR was still around, this is how they'd do it. And we all know how well that country ran, till the whole downfall thing.

In order to defend the integrity of Wikipedia, I have taken it upon myself to experiment with all sorts of information, in order to prove the hypothesis that when everybody voices their own opinion on the truth, it may get convoluted, but that doesn't stop it from being awesome. For instance, Wikipedia claims that the Oliver Typewriter Company created the first "visible print" typewriter at the turn of the 20th century. Experimentation: Check. Wikipedia claims that for a supernova to destory earth, it would need to be 25 million light years or closer. Experimentation: Check. Wikipedia claims that Patrick Swayze has cancer. Experimentation: Check.





A few spaces of silence for Patrick Swayze.

But this wasn't enough. I needed a live test. I found one in Joy Williams.

Joy Williams was originally Joy Williams until she became Joy Williams Yetton by a process known as marriage. This was invented long ago, probably by God. Wikipedia Experimentation: Check and Check. She and her husband Nate came through Europe into Rome and stayed with my friend, Dani the Perpetual Exchange Student (this was not on Wikipedia, but I saw it with my own eyes. Later this week I will add it to Wikipedia). I read over her Wikipage and Wikidiscography several times, and then let the scientific process run amok.

After a couple of dinners, I was able to ascertain from both Joy and Nate that the following Wikipedia claims are true: she did grow up in California, she was an overachiever in high school, as well as a varsity athlete, and she did release a "Best Of" album in 2004. I kind of got distracted after that.
EDITOR'S NOTE: The above photo is not of singer-songwriter Joy Williams, but of short story writer Joy Williams. It did not come from Wikipedia, but Google. Just another instance of why Wikipedia is better.

Why Nate himself doesn't have a Wikipedia page, I don't know. After I update Joy's, I'm creating him one as well.

Joy and Nate are pretty much the coolest people ever, and though that's not on Wikipedia, it soon will be. After they leave I'm going to start telling people that Joy is my half-sister, and that Nate is my third cousin (second cousin to my father), though these relations do not in any way mean there is mixed blood between the two. It's just one of those odd coincidences of the universe, I'll tell people. If I'm pressed further, I'll admit Joy isn't my sister, but I'll remain adamant that I am related to Nate.

7 comments:

Joy Williams said...

Captain, my Captain...QUITE the illustrious blog. But I should not be shocked. You are, afterall, the Wiki guru.

Nate and I miss you guys already!

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I acquiesce in but I contemplate the post should acquire more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Approvingly your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you dispatch, choice look audacious in behalf of more interrelated articles promptly as its united of my choice topic to read.