Sunday, January 13, 2008

I Make New Friends


Today I went to church. It's called the Rome Baptist Church; it's an English speaking church in the Piazza San Lorenzo. On the bottom floor of an apartment, the room has three rows of pews. I think today it was at capacity, at around 150.

Not everyone was American. In fact, very few of us were. There were three students, beside me, and a couple of tourists. The rest were from any number of nations, people who, like me, can't understand but a few words of Italian but still want the fellowship. That's why I went, by the way: I was lonely. I always thought I could live alone, with only myself and the people I invent, but that's not true. In fact, inventing people is rather unhealthy, and you last less long in isolation if you have imaginary friends. It's called going mad.

The best part was afterwards; two girls and a guy, all about the same age, who work in Rome, took the new students out to lunch and toured us around town (to sights we had already seen). I thought they were just being nice, but after talking a little I found that they were just as lonely as I. All their previous friends had gone home at the end of last semester.

Taina is from Finland, Esther from Switzerland, and Mircea (Mir-cha) from Romania. Tania can speak three languages, Mircea four, and Esther five. If time travel is ever invented, or if I ever get stuck in some sort of black hole anomaly that sends me back to ancient Greece, I'll be able to speak two languages. I was most excited about Mircea who kind of looks like Rufio, but with an eastern block nose. He tried to teach me Italian pick up lines (ciao, bella! bionda!), and kept catcalling girls way too young for him, but I guess that's a culture thing.

If you believe in this sort of thing, I think God answered a prayer.

2 comments:

NathanLee said...

That is awesome. "Rufi, Rufi, Rufi-OOOOO!"
Being alone certainly has its drawbacks, but it also lends opportunity to meet and befriend very interesting people.

Roman Baptist, huh? Are they in the SBC?

Unknown said...

Hey I think you look like Patrick Swayze. I've just finished reading your last several postings. I was wondering, what color hair to the people you make up have. I bet its see-thru. Well, some people here might go to fayetteville next weekend. But you wont be there, I may take them to your house and tell them about you anyway.