Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Three's Company, But Four Is Just Unhealthy Overcrowding

As you might have heard (because news about me travels fast), I'm taking this semester off to live with three girls. At first I thought I would pretend I was gay, and then we could be best friends with no sort of tension, and I could have an excuse for dressing nice all the time. But I decided to go a straighter route, and my roommates have be very courteous. I've lived in a bubble all my life: a nice, septic, beautiful bubble that kept me very conservative, so this arrangement is far outside my comfort zone. But I have been given my own room and bathroom, and in exchange I do the dishes and am in charge of the directions. It's much better than being gay. I suppose.

Before I commited to live with Ashley, Ellen, and Rachael, I thought about living with a group spearheaded by Keith Wheeler, aka Wheels. I saw Wheels at orientation yesterday, and he told me a horror story. Apparently, after they signed their housing contract and paid two months in advance, their apartment went back up for rent. When they tried to contact their broker, they found that he had changed his cell phone and left Rome. Now Wheels and the Wheelies are out two thousand plus euros and are without a place to stay. The hidden fees I find myself paying to our own broker, "You Liking the Disco" Sacha, seem a bit trivial in comparison.

No comments: